View Full Version : 80,000 mile warranty tires - Higher Treadwear numbers vs. Handling

SMH 383SBC
03-12-2005, 10:03:00 PM
I am buying tires for my Camry and seen at the local tire shop 70,000-80,000 mile warranty tires.

I assume the higher the treadwear number on the sidewall of a tire the harder the tire. The tires will last alot longer but compromise great traction.

how good/bad will the ride and road noise be?

could they compromise handling too much.

any info would be great!
thanx
scott

------------------
Bolt ON
is there such a thing?

Gary S
03-12-2005, 10:14:00 PM
You are correct. The higher the treadwear number, the poorer you can expect the traction of the tire to be. If you live in California or Florida and never have to drive on snow or ice, the high treadwear tires could be right for you. If you ever have to deal with icy conditions on a tire like this, you will wish you never bought them. Michelin seems to make a lot of tires with high treadwear numbers, and in my part of the country, you can't even get enough traction to get the car moving when it snows with them.
I buy tires with a 40-45K rating and also they have to have a M+S rating for mud and snow. They wear out faster, but at least they are safe to drive on.

The good part of a hard tire is that even a 305 with 2.56 gears can spin them effortlessly even if it couldn't chirp a soft tire. They even make a front wheel drive car look like it has power.

Lowend
03-12-2005, 11:04:00 PM
Let put it this way... I used to get 10-12K miles out of a set of Yokohama AVS intermediates (probably the best overall handling street tire on the market) before I corded them.
I WISH I would get 5K out of a set of Kumho Victoracers (DOT auto-X tires)
A tire with an 80K warranty (which is around 8 years of average life!) is going to be about as hard as the freeway it rolls on. In other words forget any handling ability at all.
In general I would say that the max tread wear you can expect from a tire and still have good handling is 300.

The single most important thing for how a car handles is the tires, make no mistake.

What size are you looking at, I'll make a reccomendation

------------------
1971 Camaro
383 stroker ~500HP
M21 4spd
12" brakes
16x10" Wheels
Autocross competitive
Engine Designer - The Speed Merchant, San Jose, CA
http://www.speedmerchant.com/

Joekool
03-12-2005, 11:44:00 PM
Read this http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/utqg.jsp
Typically a high mileage tire will have a harder tread compound but that not always the case. The way too tell tires apart is to read the info imbedded in every tire sidewall. There are tires with a 700+ tread life rating and an A or AA traction rating. The way they pull this off is in the tread design and inner carcass design. Some of todays tires are ten times more advanced then top of the line tires from even 5 years ago. We have Goodyear tires at my work that have a 740 tread life and A traction rating, they do not feel like your typical 80,000 mile Cooper tire that has hard nubs for tread and the tire wieght is alot less than one with a hard compound.

SMH 383SBC
03-13-2005, 07:46:00 PM
Thanx for all the quick replies!

Lowend, tire size is 205/65-15.
Thanks for a reccomentdation on tires.

scott