View Full Version : fuel line length

1981z28owner
07-29-2009, 11:50:07 PM
what is approx length needed to run from mechanical pump to the carb?

IceBerg1163
07-29-2009, 11:57:31 PM
Are you asking about the rubber hose or the metal tube that runs ontop of your intake?

1981z28owner
07-30-2009, 12:55:15 AM
it be usign a braided line to run directly from carb to the pump

Air_Adam
07-30-2009, 02:06:43 AM
2.5-3.0 feet is probably a safe bet.

my24ktrat
07-30-2009, 03:18:41 AM
...Make sure you don't use more than 1 foot of rubber hose , racetracks don't like that ,if having fun at the track, just my .02, DC:bowtie:

loudvolvo
07-30-2009, 04:17:14 AM
...Make sure you don't use more than 1 foot of rubber hose , racetracks don't like that ,if having fun at the track, just my .02, DC:bowtie:
sorry to threadjack but you musta been reading my mind, i was about to start a thread regarding this. i went to the track about 2 weekends ago and ive got oem rubber line going from my mech pump to regulator, then regulator to carb. probably close to 3 ft in all and they didn't say anything during tech inspection. im thinkin about upgrading my regulator and was wondering if i need to use braided line. I've heard that your not suppose to have more than 1 ft of rubber line. i really can't stand to pay for all the stupid AN fittings and braided line to be "legal"

muscl car
07-30-2009, 04:27:07 AM
sorry to threadjack but you musta been reading my mind, i was about to start a thread regarding this. i went to the track about 2 weekends ago and ive got oem rubber line going from my mech pump to regulator, then regulator to carb. probably close to 3 ft in all and they didn't say anything during tech inspection. im thinkin about upgrading my regulator and was wondering if i need to use braided line. I've heard that your not suppose to have more than 1 ft of rubber line. i really can't stand to pay for all the stupid AN fittings and braided line to be "legal"

you're looking at $70-$80 to run braided line from the pump to a regulator then to the carb , this includes all fittings and hose

here's the NHRA regs for fuel line :

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d54/ZS10/General%20regs/img008Custom.jpg

BADHOTROD
07-30-2009, 03:17:10 PM

you don't have to buy all the fittings,...all you need is NHRA approved fuel line, they make an approved rubber line now (called push loc) you can use that with good ol fashioned hose clamps if you want.

loudvolvo
07-30-2009, 03:21:32 PM
you don't have to buy all the fittings,...all you need is NHRA approved fuel line, they make an approved rubber line now (called push loc) you can use that with good ol fashioned hose clamps if you want.
damn, too late now. i ordered 3ft of braided line with fittings and a new regulator for $70. not too bad i guess. Id just hate to not pass tech inspection when i go down again, 1 hr drive to the track would suck if i couldn't run

BADHOTROD
07-30-2009, 03:50:25 PM
damn, too late now. i ordered 3ft of braided line with fittings and a new regulator for $70. not too bad i guess. Id just hate to not pass tech inspection when i go down again, 1 hr drive to the track would suck if i couldn't run

oh well,...it will look good anyway :D
I wish we had a track within an hour of mpls.
2 1/2 is the closest but usually drive 4 hours to get to the track I like.

z28rod
07-30-2009, 06:25:08 PM
70 Bucks For Safety And Peace Of Mind Is Cheap Dude ...:)