View Full Version : My Alignment Specs...............

protour73
04-25-2009, 06:00:20 PM
For those that are interested, here are my alignment specs from my first alignment.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r204/protour73/IMG.jpg

88ssls1
04-25-2009, 10:25:35 PM
You may need to correct your camber/caster

Nevada RS/SS
04-25-2009, 10:45:37 PM
Thank you.....I didn't know if it was too soon to ask.
Who did you use?

protour73
04-25-2009, 10:51:54 PM
Thank you.....I didn't know if it was too soon to ask.
Who did you use?Finishline Performace Shop in Naperville, sends ALL of their customers cars to the Firestone shop at 119th and Rte 59 (southwest corner of intersection) The guys in the shop were VERY respectful of the car and I was able to hang around the car and watch.

Nevada RS/SS
04-25-2009, 11:06:00 PM
Thanks, I'll check them out.
I'm hoping to catch someone on a slow day so maybe they'll put it up on the rack and let me take a couple of pictures of the underside......before it gets all messed up.
Did you ever get a back seat? I know my buddy Bob is trying to grab one for you that we know is sitting.

protour73
04-25-2009, 11:31:16 PM
Thanks, I'll check them out.
I'm hoping to catch someone on a slow day so maybe they'll put it up on the rack and let me take a couple of pictures of the underside......before it gets all messed up.
Did you ever get a back seat? I know my buddy Bob is trying to grab one for you that we know is sitting.yup...got one today, really nice.

Z27LS3
04-25-2009, 11:51:45 PM
how does the car drive with that alignment ?

protour73
04-26-2009, 08:28:53 AM
how does the car drive with that alignment ?awesome..............straight and true and cornered VERY nicely :cool:

BondoSpecial
04-26-2009, 10:58:11 AM
That looks great compared to what most people get from alignment shops. I would want a little less cross caster but for a street car its going to be fine. I bet it handles great

John Wright
04-26-2009, 11:24:51 AM
What's the numbers?...they have blocked me on our server here at work, so I can't see what Scottie posted.

GetMore
04-26-2009, 11:49:09 AM
He's got -.6°/-.4° camber, 4.7°/5.2° caster, .22°/.23° toe.
So he's basically got the good performance alignment of -.5° camber and 5° caster.

The cross caster and camber numbers are what my boss recommends for street driving, as they compensate for the crown in the road, so as you drive down the road the car will want to go straight.
If the car was going to mainly be used on flat surfaces, like a runway (autocross) then you would even those numbers out side-to-side.

That is a nice alignment.

protour73
04-26-2009, 01:01:01 PM
He's got -.6/-.4 camber, 4.7/5.2 caster, .22/.23 toe.
So he's basically got the good performance alignment of -.5 camber and 5 caster.

The cross caster and camber numbers are what my boss recommends for street driving, as they compensate for the crown in the road, so as you drive down the road the car will want to go straight.
If the car was going to mainly be used on flat surfaces, like a runway (autocross) then you would even those numbers out side-to-side.

That is a nice alignment.you are right on my friend.....on a road with a good crown to it.....there is a slight drift.........but on a flat road very very nice ride!!

Z27LS3
04-26-2009, 07:23:45 PM
I'll go with the -0.5 deg camber on mine, its going to roll tomorrow before lunch. I took off the totally shot original front suspension. now its got a different set of stock LCA with PTFB sphericals on the bottom and PTFB comp control arms upper. moog ball joints, PTFB steering setup, eddy IAS all 4corners. Oh and almost forgot the fr. springs are hotchkis 1909F, which I did not cut and the car has exact 2" drop as advertised. thanks to all who advised against cutting the coil springs, i'm not what the deal was with cutting but on my car it would have been waaaayyyy too low, probably lower than acceptable.

man I am glad I did this as soon as possible, I've barely been driving because of the shaky feel the car had. it turned out that the LF LCA had a worn bushing so bad that the LCA attachment bolt was 1/2 up into the control arm, metal on metal. It was good foresight on my end ordering all new control arm bolts and hardware. I basically went in with all new . reworked parts.

if the snow melts by tomorrow I might even get to drive the car !

BondoSpecial
04-26-2009, 08:06:55 PM
my experience on a bunch of cars has been that a couple tenths cross caster is okay on a street car, but more than .2 or .3 cross caster can cause a caster pull that is annoying on less crowned roads (highways). Although if the car drives straight it's fine