View Full Version : Antique vehicle plates. Who uses them?

Chevy 350
04-03-2009, 01:09:30 AM
I am looking for another second gen and was searching on ebay and came across old plates with the years on them.
Who uses these on their cars? I assume all you need to do is find an old plate that is no longer used. Lot of red tape to jump through or is it fairly easy?
I guess they make you get new tags every year still?

My parents have a bunch of old Illinois plates in the basement from my great aunt's eastate which was sold off probably over 10 years ago now. I think almost every consecutive plate is there All with the same license number) and recall it going through atleast the mid 70s (I remember there being bicentennial plates that matched the license nmbers)

I figure if no body has this number in Illinois I can put a set of those to good use some day, no matter what year of car I get

Chevy 350
04-03-2009, 01:14:58 AM
Dang. Cant tell if anyone has it. The Illinois DMV plate search says you cant have any numbers over 999 even with vanity plates, and the plates at my parents house are "AP 8307"

KEVS79
04-03-2009, 01:15:44 AM
In Missouri it is a breeze. You just have to have a plate that is the same year as your car. You fill out a form and send it w/a pic of the plate and your one time fee of $25.00(I think) and that is it. You are limited on the amount of miles you can drive per year and how far from home you can drive though.

Chevy 350
04-03-2009, 01:19:12 AM
Just found this

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/vsd35513.pdf

Apparently to do this you must order the AV - Antique Vehicle plates from the state and then just put any old license plate of the same year on the car and keep the paperwork and antique vehicle plates ordered from the state somewhere in the car at all times

Chevy 350
04-03-2009, 01:20:17 AM
In Missouri it is a breeze. You just have to have a plate that is the same year as your car. You fill out a form and send it w/a pic of the plate and your one time fee of $25.00(I think) and that is it. You are limited on the amount of miles you can drive per year and how far from home you can drive though.That last part sounds like a drag
If I get a car it will be to drive. Not like it will be a show quality car though

76turtle
04-03-2009, 01:21:39 AM
here in kansas you can find a tag that is the same year as your car . it must b a antique 35 yrs or older. was easy just like tags on daily driver but, its no reminder for renewal so no sticker and just 17.50 a year. i had my ol 67 camaro taged this way,now i have a 72 truck with them, and i am patiently waiting for my 76 to get old enough.

Chevy 350
04-03-2009, 01:25:29 AM
Im looking at a 75 LT right now. Kind of rough but "ran when parked 10 years ago" kind of car
I think 1981z28owner told me at one time he was getting old plates for his, and his is an 81. So if thats so, a 75 should be fine to do this to

I hope theyll let me do this for a car that looks like a turd :/

KEVS79
04-03-2009, 01:28:20 AM
That last part sounds like a drag
If I get a car it will be to drive. Not like it will be a show quality car though

Here is the qualifications:

"To qualify for historic license plates, a vehicle (passenger vehicle, truck, or motorcycle) must be 25 years old or older, owned solely as a collector’s item, and used for exhibition and educational purposes.

Vehicles displaying historic or antique license plates may be driven:

1. To and from exhibitions and educational events without any mileage limitation;
2. To repair facilities within a 100 mile limit; and
3. Up to 1,000 miles per year for personal use.

The owner is responsible for keeping a log of the miles driven for personal use each calendar year. The log must be kept in the vehicle when the vehicle is being driven on any state road.

Historic license plates are a permanent registration and cannot be transferred. If you sell or dispose of the vehicle, you must return the plates to the Missouri Department of Revenue."

Chevy 350
04-03-2009, 01:30:34 AM
Heres a smaller more condensed version of that pdf.

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/vehicles/license_plate_guide/standard_plates/antique.html

Im no good at understanding this mumbo jumbo. Looks like I cant do this if I plan on enjoying a car at all. Definitely wont be driving whatever car I get to a car show. Thats for sure. I hope what ever car I get will just be able to drive

KEVS79
04-03-2009, 01:35:17 AM
Heres a smaller more condensed version of that pdf.

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/vehicles/license_plate_guide/standard_plates/antique.html

Im no good at understanding this mumbo jumbo. Looks like I cant do this if I plan on enjoying a car at all. Definitely wont be driving whatever car I get to a car show. Thats for sure. I hope what ever car I get will just be able to drive

Yep...looks that way. Atleast we have 1000 miles of personal use.

Camaro11
04-03-2009, 01:57:49 AM
In GA all you have to do is have a car 20+ years old. You get 'HA' Historical Antique plates for no charge. Almost all of the other custom plates get a $25 surcharge.

dwright406
04-03-2009, 02:34:32 AM
In TX it's $50 for 5 years for antique (25+ yrs old).
And an antique vehicle is exempt from annual safety inspections.

No limitations that I'm aware of as far as how much it may be driven.
I drive mine quite a bit and never have any problems.

I bought a pair of plates off ebay, took them to the tax office, they inspected and registered them. Took about 5 minutes.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/dwright406/Camaro/100_4779.jpg

Gary S
04-03-2009, 02:49:04 AM
Every State had different rules about this so just go to your DMV and see what they offer.
In North Dakota we have a Classic plate that you can get if the car is 25 years or older. This plate is basically a scam. You still pay yearly fees and use their Classic plate plus you are limited in using the vehicle for shows, parades, and similar events.
But, we also have an Antique plate that you can get if the car is 40 years or older. With this one, you pay a one-time fee to register the car permantly. You can opt to have an Antique plate issued by the State or use an old retired plate that matches the year of your car. This one has no limitations on mileage or type of use for the vehicle.
Next year my 70 will be 40 years old so I will be getting the Antique registration for it. I already have a 1970 plate laying in the back seat to register on it.

Eliminator SS
04-03-2009, 02:51:06 AM
Like some of the others have posted, in Nebraska antique plates are lifetime, get them once and they stay with the car so long as its registered in your name. The only requirement is that either the plate stamping is the year of the car they are going on, or the sticker on the plates has to be the year of the car. One or the other, doesnt have to be both. We've always wanted to do it, because this is a requirement for antique car insurance. They do limit the number of miles traveled in a year though.

Chevy 350
04-03-2009, 04:51:00 AM
I was wanting to do it because it would be neat but apparently it will just severely limit my use of the car

mnz28
04-03-2009, 08:11:15 AM
In Wi you can get collector plates. You pay 2x the yearly fee and the plates are good for the vehicle as long as you own it. You just cant drive the vehicle in january.

green 1977
04-03-2009, 10:20:50 AM
In Wi you can get collector plates. You pay 2x the yearly fee and the plates are good for the vehicle as long as you own it. You just cant drive the vehicle in january.
Yup thats what I did.... less than 100 bucks for lifetime vehicle plates ain't bad:)

protour73
04-03-2009, 10:43:35 AM
good for 3 years in Illinois

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r204/protour73/SouthPics011.jpg

70 RS/Z28
04-03-2009, 11:08:17 AM
There is a spot in the PR of Illinois site where you can search for available plate combos. the problem is Illinois limits the combination of and groupings of letters and numbers. The antique plate carries with it some restrictions on usage. It will depend on your local PD as to if they enforce the rules or not, read them! Right now I have never had a problem running AV plates on my cars but I expect in the future there might be a problem. Some people are buying these plates and using them on their daily cars. I assume they are doing this because the license fees are much less than standard plates. The state will get pissed and change/start enforcing the rules which are vary use restrictive. Leave it to some POS's to screw the thing up!

Anyway if you understand the rules and your car is not a daily driving vehicle, at least for now, they will work fine.

https://www.ilsos.gov/PickAPlateWeb/index1.html

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/70COPORSZ28/P4050128.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/70COPORSZ28/scr11073.jpg

Drg racr
04-03-2009, 11:13:11 AM
Here in MI you pay the fee once and it's good for life. They have mileage limits but no one enforces it. I had 67 plates on my 67 Camaro and never had a problem.

eightyZ28
04-03-2009, 12:03:11 PM
In TX it's $50 for 5 years for antique (25+ yrs old).
And an antique vehicle is exempt from annual safety inspections.

No limitations that I'm aware of as far as how much it may be driven.
I drive mine quite a bit and never have any problems.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/dwright406/Camaro/100_4779.jpg

I run the classic/antique plates on mine....don't expire until 3/13

BUT, there is a limit on the driving part..(this is the only part that sux)

An antique vehicle is used only for parades, civic events, and club activities (plus a limited amount of maintenance driving). It cannot carry advertising signs or be used as a normal means of transportation. The cost to register as an Antique is approximately $60.00 for a full 5-year period. Antique vehicles do not require inspection stickers and a liability insurance waiver is available from the Texas Department of Public Safety.

http://www.turnerplates.com/Texas%20YOM%20Law.html

masparks
04-03-2009, 01:47:29 PM
No limits one time fee,want to say $72.00 then $17.50 a year.And that's went up this last yr. from 16.95.And it was $13.95 when i frist got the tag.

And it stays the same

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii41/masparks2001/hotrod015.jpg

BLCK79Z
04-03-2009, 02:08:48 PM
Just recently put mine one, was cake. Just had to fill out a form..send in a pic of the plates..copy of insurance..driver's L...and 3 bucks because i have mine registered as historic.

70 RS/Z28
04-03-2009, 02:18:50 PM

An antique vehicle is used only for parades, civic events, and club activities (plus a limited amount of maintenance driving). It cannot carry advertising signs or be used as a normal means of transportation.

Those are some of the same kind of restriction on the illinois plates and no one seems to get upset if you are out on the weekend for a drive and such. I see the day where the rules get abused so much that there will be a crackdown. Hope it never happens but because it is part of the revenue stream im sure sooner or later.......

Chevy 350
04-03-2009, 04:47:13 PM
There is a spot in the PR of Illinois site where you can search for available plate combos. the problem is Illinois limits the combination of and groupings of letters and numbers. The antique plate carries with it some restrictions on usage. It will depend on your local PD as to if they enforce the rules or not, read them! Right now I have never had a problem running AV plates on my cars but I expect in the future there might be a problem. Some people are buying these plates and using them on their daily cars. I assume they are doing this because the license fees are much less than standard plates. The state will get pissed and change/start enforcing the rules which are vary use restrictive. Leave it to some POS's to screw the thing up!

Anyway if you understand the rules and your car is not a daily driving vehicle, at least for now, they will work fine.

So, in reality, they dont usually enforce it? Im not looking for a DD, but if its a fun enough car, I can see myself driving it more than 1000 miles a year. Especially on my days off in the summer

Chevy 350
04-03-2009, 04:49:32 PM
Those are some of the same kind of restriction on the illinois plates and no one seems to get upset if you are out on the weekend for a drive and such. I see the day where the rules get abused so much that there will be a crackdown. Hope it never happens but because it is part of the revenue stream im sure sooner or later.......Or theyll just start charging vanity plate fees. (or keep the fees the same but start issuing tickets)

kodamar
04-03-2009, 04:58:29 PM
Just recently put mine one, was cake. Just had to fill out a form..send in a pic of the plates..copy of insurance..driver's L...and 3 bucks because i have mine registered as historic.

In NY the insurance form with the bar code must contain the word "HISTORIC" when applying for the antique plate registration. Even if you have an antique insurance carrier (JC Taylor, Hagerty, etc.) you must ASK for the "historic" designation on the insurance form- it will not automatically say it even though it is antique insurance.

I don't know if this is strictly enforced, but they did request it in my case.

Also, when I sold the car, I did NOT have to give the plates to the DMV. They are considered personal property as a collectors item, and no longer the property of New York State.

Valkyrie Katie
04-03-2009, 05:18:58 PM
I had the Florida blue "Antique" plates on the 1970 Camaro. Through a Florida Law, if the license plates have never been used before, you can use old license plates on any car of that year. So I then changed it to the 1970 Florida plate. I also bought a 1972 Florida plate for the 72 Camaro, and even bought a 1968 Plate for my next car.

dwright406
04-03-2009, 09:09:19 PM
I run the classic/antique plates on mine....don't expire until 3/13

An antique vehicle is used only for parades, civic events, and club activities (plus a limited amount of maintenance driving). It cannot carry advertising signs or be used as a normal means of transportation. The cost to register as an Antique is approximately $60.00 for a full 5-year period. Antique vehicles do not require inspection stickers and a liability insurance waiver is available from the Texas Department of Public Safety.

I remember seeing that when I fiiled out the app.
The guy at the carshow that talked me into getting them said he drives his all the time and never had any problems.
I haven't as well, and I drive mine all the time to work and around town on my days off.

I'd just call it "maintenance driving" if I ever was stopped.

73Guy
04-03-2009, 09:17:42 PM
I believe in GA the it has to be 1970 or earlier.