View Full Version : power steering pump cap spraying fluid

mike h
11-28-2008, 11:24:55 AM
Whats up guys , my power steering pump has started spraying fluid it looks like it is coming out of the little vent hole in the middle top part of the cap. I noticed it after doing a couple of dounuts in a parking lot,and at first thought I had some how caused it with the round and round action. but I drove it again for the first time the other day and noticed it was coming out of that little hole, and landing on my inner fender. Any ideas what the problem is? thanks for any help you may offer.

Dave Nelson
11-28-2008, 01:53:18 PM
If the pump is over filled it will do this,check when cold and see where level is at.

Groucho
11-28-2008, 03:38:03 PM
Overful, or air in the system are things I'd check. Jack the front in the air, and with the engine running, steer the wheels in both directions slowly until "lock" and hold for a second to bleed any air that "may" be in the systemWhats up guys , my power steering pump has started spraying fluid it looks like it is coming out of the little vent hole in the middle top part of the cap. I noticed it after doing a couple of dounuts in a parking lot,and at first thought I had some how caused it with the round and round action. but I drove it again for the first time the other day and noticed it was coming out of that little hole, and landing on my inner fender. Any ideas what the problem is? thanks for any help you may offer.

mike h
11-28-2008, 04:43:16 PM
thanks for the input guys, i'm sure it's not overfilled because i've been driving it around for a couple of years with no problems. it started after my dounut/burnout adventure. it's making noise now because it's low on fluid.I was going to put some more in but I don't won't it to makle a bigger mess. could turning the wheels all the way and running up the rpms cause it to gulp some air somehow? I'll try to bleed it just in case. thanks again.

Groucho
11-28-2008, 04:57:29 PM
Well, if it was low on fluid during your thrash, it may be "foaming", and that's the problem. THAT would introduce air to the system. Let us knowthanks for the input guys, i'm sure it's not overfilled because i've been driving it around for a couple of years with no problems. it started after my dounut/burnout adventure. it's making noise now because it's low on fluid.I was going to put some more in but I don't won't it to makle a bigger mess. could turning the wheels all the way and running up the rpms cause it to gulp some air somehow? I'll try to bleed it just in case. thanks again.

mike h
11-29-2008, 09:22:57 AM
hopefully your right, my wife has to work on sat and I have a sick 2 year old . so I'll try to check it sunday and I'll let you know. thanks again

mike h
12-19-2008, 11:56:30 PM
update , I tried adding fluid and bleeding the system and it didn't help. so I pulled the pump and checked it out .I noticed there was something rattling inside. pulled it apart and a little round metal plug was laying inside. Looks like some sort of pressure bypass thingy. so I purchased a new pump and I'll give it a try and report back. I just wonder what caused the plug to come out, hopefully old age ha ha. maybe the new one won't self destruct.

mike h
01-18-2009, 03:25:55 PM
final update the new pump is working fine so far. thanks for the help

old zeder
01-18-2009, 05:37:01 PM
You keep doing donuts with the steering pump CRANKED and presure on the pump and you maybe changing that one later on, you wont be saying $$$$ ha ha $$$$$

COPO
01-18-2009, 08:16:22 PM
Cure-stop doing donuts in the future. I go to the donut shop for my donuts.
I haven't done a donut since 1973. That's when I blew my tranny. Never again.

Groucho
01-23-2009, 12:37:10 PM
maybe the new one won't self destruct.
Give it the donut test and find out:rolleyes: