View Full Version : Humbled old schooler

camertom
09-09-2008, 01:06:13 AM
I can't believe I din't search harder for that damn data link to the laptop before. After installing an Innovate XD-16 kit w/LM-1 way back this spring I "put the box away somewhere safe".

I found it in my fricken bookcase a week ago. I tried out datalogging my AFR for the first time tonight.

Wotta hoot. Very easy to link, to initiate and stop! I can't wait to try this at the strip. I liked the guage alone earlier as I could read it in 3rd at WOT. But I've pretty much always done it the hard way and for someone who has tried reading plugs and changing jets/ doing a pass/changing jets/doing a pass etc this is a quantum leap forward.

I had a poor showing a week ago in Drayton due to an off idle stumble and idle problem. First I found the secondary blade position out by a mile. Anyone else ever have that little underneath adjusting screw for the secondaries back out a bit? Resetting the blade properly solved the idle problem. I am sure I had been compensating for the poor idle with the pump shot and then revving it to about 1100 on the line lock..

Back to the laptop I did a few of idle blasts on the street tonight with the idle working, had a stumble both times and can see it clearly and easily in the form of lean 18 : 1 spike and recovery. With the datalogger I can now see my pump shot in the mix clearly and I can adjust according.

I coulda run this thing months ago if I knew it was so easy. Time to do a free air calibration and then strap this in the car at the wedensday night drags!

Mwilson
09-09-2008, 01:14:14 AM
Wow way over my head!! LOL now if you had said points or jet or Carb maybe but whew!!

70Camaro406
09-09-2008, 09:15:19 AM
Wow way over my head!! LOL now if you had said points or jet or Carb maybe but whew!!

Yeah...was that even in English? LOL Maybe when my car is close to put back together, I'll get some fancy program to help me adjust my engine. For now, I'll just try to read and learn.

BTW, Camertom, congrats on getting your engine better tuned. Good luck at the track.

camertom
09-09-2008, 10:26:48 AM
I actually once rode in a 74 Camaro IN 1974! Never imagined one day a computor could be attached and help with fine tuning the mixture! Of course we never imagined todays computors at all!

Now I just have to hope I remember to look up when drag racing and not at the screen! Anyone ever race with while talking on a cell phone?

Stroked72SS
09-09-2008, 10:50:44 AM
You Can buy a rear blade adjustment screw that replaces the factory ones from Quickfuel...

It's only about $16.00...bolts right on...(Assuming you're running a DP Carb...)

and it lets you adjust the rear blades with your hand..

Tried to send you a Pic...but this forum is too Restrictive...

If you want I can E-mail it to you...PM me with your info

John

Stroked72SS
09-09-2008, 10:52:40 AM
I actually once rode in a 74 Camaro IN 1974! Never imagined one day a computor could be attached and help with fine tuning the mixture! Of course we never imagined todays computors at all!

Now I just have to hope I remember to look up when drag racing and not at the screen! Anyone ever race with while talking on a cell phone?
Don't look up...Hit the Record button on your LM-1...and when you're back in the Pits, download the run to your Laptop..and look at it Safely...

And if you get an LMA2 it'll also record and show you your RPM's

rustbucket79
09-09-2008, 01:20:54 PM
Gotta love technology!

John Wright
09-09-2008, 02:10:10 PM
Sounds neat!

TooLateVTEC
09-09-2008, 05:57:20 PM
I hate it when I hide important things from myself.

camertom
09-09-2008, 10:32:24 PM
This just in....

Our local race track, Race City Speedway closed its doors this afternoon at 1:00 PM. Its done. Out of money, too many rainouts and too few crowds. The city is taking the land however we expected to finish up this year and then run in 2009.

Won't be testing my laptop after all.

See Canadian thread for details.