" /> 1981 z28 - What does the computer chip control?? [Archive] - NastyZ28.com

View Full Version : 1981 z28 - What does the computer chip control??

06-13-2003, 10:12:00 PM
I've been reading on stuff as I've been planning on some stuff to buy to replace some of the parts.

I was looking at carburetors for a 81 camaro at autozone and notice they where around 239.99 or so and the older camaro ones where 129.99.

Is something here to do with the newer carb controlled by the computer chip.

If so can't I just replace everything used by this chip and get rid of that damn thing http://www.nastyz28.com/ubb/biggrin.gif.

I would appriciate any help on what the chip actually runs, what the diff. is in the carb. I mean they both are rochester quads so.

Thanks guys,


Petes 81Z
06-13-2003, 10:58:00 PM
It's not a chip, but the computer controls the mixture in the carb, the advance for the distributor and the lockup converter in the transmission. Yes you can swap everything out for non computer contolled parts, then ditch the computer. That's exactly what I plan to do with mine.

Gary S
06-13-2003, 11:08:00 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, the TH350C in the 81 Camaro wasn't controlled by the Computer yet. I think that didn't happen until the 700R4 came along.

The TH350C does its own lockup controlling from a pressure switch inside the tranny and vacuum from the engine. It is a much simpler design than the later trannys.

06-14-2003, 12:20:00 AM
So Gary S I could change out the carb for a older one like i plan on. Then also would I have to put a differnt distributer in. Then would that be all the ccc controlled stuff.

Note that I already took all the smog crap out. So would that be all set where I could rid it of the chip or control http://www.nastyz28.com/ubb/smile.gif.

Thanks a bunch guys appriciate your replys.


Gary S
06-14-2003, 12:34:00 AM
There should be folks on this bulletin board who have done this conversion and can tell you for sure, but I think that all you would need is an older style distributer with the vacuum and mechanical advance instead of your electronic one, and an older quadrajet that doesn't have the electronic controls.

Of course, this would cause real problems if you need to pass any kind of smog checks. That would be the first issue to consider before you start.

The guys who have already done this should be able to steer you in the right direction.

06-14-2003, 04:34:00 AM
Smog check doesn't matter here in Tn. hehe http://www.nastyz28.com/ubb/smile.gif

Well hopefully the other guys come double check to give the a-ok on what I need http://www.nastyz28.com/ubb/biggrin.gif.


06-14-2003, 09:48:00 PM
Anybody else? http://www.nastyz28.com/ubb/smile.gif

Anything they missed that I should know about before I start looking into buying this stuff??.

Also what distributer would you recommend, links please http://www.nastyz28.com/ubb/biggrin.gif.

Thanks guys,


06-15-2003, 10:15:00 PM
Well I had a '69 327 in my '81 get yourself a HEI distribitor they can be found for next to nothing, buy yourself a pretty new Elderbrock carb and some black electrical tape for the check engine light. And for God sakes can anyone give the boy a torker II manifold. I'm 95% sure the tranny is also controlled by computer. Thats why I have a '79 now, the closest thing to a computer in my car now is if my son drops his gameboy on the back seat.

06-15-2003, 10:50:00 PM
Can you give me a good link to a cheap HEI distributor. The one i saw was around 100 dollars at autozone and advance auto parts without the cap.



06-18-2003, 12:53:00 PM
Very, very, very simple swap. Unplugging the ECM will be best thing you can do to a /that stock motor.

81 Z28 350
700r4, 3.42
My 81 Z28 (http://community.webshots.com/photo/60945139/71470774bLfZGT)

Another pic (http://community.webshots.com/photo/60945139/71470825lNjXsh)

Wheels (http://community.webshots.com/photo/35701188/35701311qxkJlA)