View Full Version : Port an Oil Pump?

onebad82z
04-26-2008, 12:30:22 PM
Pros? Cons? Tell me your thoughts on this!

http://www.gofastnews.com/board/technical-articles/433-sb-chevy-zero-cost-oil-pump-power-mods.html

Not doubting the authors credentials here as I do not know him, but this is the first I have heard of this (not that I hear alot, just new to me). Is it worth the time invested? Don't care about HP gains as they cannot be anything more than very minimal, but will it make the oiling system more efficient? Maybe worth it before I install the new pump...

pdq67
04-26-2008, 01:02:14 PM
Sure it work's if you want to spend the time to go after that last hp or border on being anal.

I slot-balanced my BB pump as shown in HPBooks old book, "How to Hotrod BB CHevys" on page 113.

pdq67

74RAT
04-26-2008, 05:10:05 PM
i've been porting the rear main cap areas of the pump and cap and setting the pump gears to housing cover at .0025 for 20 years. haven't worried much about the part of creating the slot balancing though. must be something to it.

seems to reason that if air doesn't like to see a bend of more than 11* in a turn without restricting the flow a little bit,, then fluid could make just as much of a difference if you straighten out the flow path some and radius the pathways some. so,, i do that much to them.
andy

onebad82z
04-26-2008, 06:23:25 PM
Seems like it may be worth some time spent...

Again not after any HP, but if I can spend the time and it will make the oil system any more efficient I am gland to grind.

mrdragster1970
04-26-2008, 08:08:45 PM

Something that guys used to do when they had time to kill. It helps a little as said, in my opinion.
It's more important to take apart & check all the specs. Blueprinting, more than porting.
My 2 cents, anything that wild, or that needs 1-2 more HP, should not have a stock body pump anyway.
When you have time, do 1-2 & put on the shelf for next winter when you freshen up.

pdq67
04-26-2008, 11:59:16 PM
Dave Vizard's site has an article posted on it that mention's all of this.

I think the link is on Team Chevelle someplace in a thread??

I recently read it.

Back again, look here..

http://www.gofastnews.com/board/technical-articles/433-sb-chevy-zero-cost-oil-pump-power-mods.html.

My bad????

pdq67

onebad82z
04-27-2008, 10:00:58 AM
Dave Vizard's site has an article posted on it that mention's all of this.

http://www.gofastnews.com/board/technical-articles/433-sb-chevy-zero-cost-oil-pump-power-mods.html.

My bad????

pdq67

Correct, that is the link I reference above. But, it was not written by Vizard..rather a member named "Dusty".

DB Z28
04-27-2008, 10:57:05 AM
That was how we did it at mercury marine race engines all the HP engines had it.Just Like it

Bikefixr
04-27-2008, 11:39:47 AM
Smokey Yunick talked about this in his contributions to the HP Books on small and big block Chevys. he said there was HP there and more importantly, more volume. He wasn't a fan of high pump pressures. High pressure costs horse power. He said volume at an adequate pressure was better. He modified BB pumps to get more volume and a smoother flow with less chatter to the distributor. He also cut a balance groove across the 2 gears in the case to allow pressure spikes to equalize and get more consistency. I always cleaned up my oil entry and exit both in the pump (with a good blueprinting ) on stock Z28 pumps. I smoothed and enlargd the main cap area, too. I wanted oil flow through the engine to be s easy as possible and drainback as fast as possible. Hell, it's nothing more than a few $ in rolls and some time.

old blue 75
04-27-2008, 02:38:27 PM
Correct, that is the link I reference above. But, it was not written by Vizard..rather a member named "Dusty".

Dusty is one of Davids students.

K5JMP
04-27-2008, 02:42:15 PM
I'm doing someting simular on my remote filter kit... just smoothing up a bit:innocent: