View Full Version : 78 camaro- freeze plug and power steering

Davis78Camaro
04-02-2008, 09:36:15 AM
Ok, as the title says, I have two problems. Last night I had my engine running and was trying to time it. All of a sudden alot of coolant started coming out of the passenger side of the engine. I turned the car off and the guy thats working w/ me found it to be a freeze plug. Before we're 100% sure its a freeze plug could it be anything else? It was just coolant and nothing else. Next, if it is the freeze plug, whats the best thing to do? Its located underneath the engine mount, so i'm sure we going to have to unbolt the mounts, unbolt the cross member, and maybe take off the header and lift it up a little bit to get to it. Should both on that side be replaced, and what kind of plug should be used, or can i fix it without taking out the engine.

Now on to power steering. I had ac in my car, now i have decided not to use it, for now. I cant find any diagrams online that show how to hook it up, and we're baffled by how it goes on. Do I need a different bracket now that i'm not using ac? or maybe im missing a bracket. If theres a diagram to show me and to tell me what parts I need that would be great.

COPO
04-02-2008, 09:53:37 AM
1st Q only:
If you can't get in there with a hammer to install one you can buy rubber ones that get tightened with a centre nut which expands the rubber. I used it once and it worked.

theflash
04-02-2008, 10:14:24 AM
I've heard of freeze plugs rusting through then leaking. If that's what it is, I'd replace them all. A real PITA to do in the car.

Davis78Camaro
04-02-2008, 10:27:33 AM
o, this wasnt just a leak. The floor was covered

Twisted_Metal
04-02-2008, 11:07:31 AM
Besides the "freeze plugs".....
There's a plug threaded into the block on each side.
It's there for coolant draining.

THE KING
04-02-2008, 12:16:02 PM
1st Q only:
If you can't get in there with a hammer to install one you can buy rubber ones that get tightened with a centre nut which expands the rubber. I used it once and it worked.
I used the rubber freeze plug also!:screwup: NEVER AGAIN, I tightened it down, marred the threads so it wouldn't back off and come out, but it did anyway. Driving down the highway doing 65 and poof. The rubber freeze plug was gone, by the time I stopped so was all of the antifreeze and it was a trip on a flatbed home with the car. As it was said, if one rusts through, your probably on your way with the rest of them. My best advice would be to pull the engine and replace all of them. My 79 Z now has all new freeze plugs along with all new internals and is a sweet runnin 383. :cool:

Twisted_Metal
04-02-2008, 12:30:14 PM
I used the rubber freeze plug also!:screwup: NEVER AGAIN, I tightened it down, marred the threads so it wouldn't back off and come out, but it did anyway. Driving down the highway doing 65 and poof. The rubber freeze plug was gone, by the time I stopped so was all of the antifreeze and it was a trip on a flatbed home with the car. As it was said, if one rusts through, your probably on your way with the rest of them. My best advice would be to pull the engine and replace all of them. My 79 Z now has all new freeze plugs along with all new internals and is a sweet runnin 383. :cool:

^^^ Sounds like you made quite a project out of replacing freeze plugs!
Maybe the rubber plug wasn't such a bad decision after all? ;)

Gary S
04-02-2008, 12:39:07 PM
Up in this part of the country, we use soft plug heaters so we can preheat our engines when it gets down around -20 or -40. These heaters are nothing more than a rubber plug with the heating element in them. They install just like any other rubber plug, and they work. GM even installs them at the factory, and when installed correctly, they last the life of the car without ever coming out. I wouldn't be afraid of using a rubber plug if you put it in correctly. At least it won't rust out like the metal ones do.

Davis78Camaro
04-02-2008, 01:29:28 PM
so im guessing everyones recommending replacing them all, and not using the rubber ones?

and what about my power steer..hah

COPO
04-02-2008, 02:47:32 PM
so im guessing everyones recommending replacing them all, and not using the rubber ones?

everyone didn't agree that the rubber ones are a PITA. Block heaters have the rubber plugs.

THE KING
04-02-2008, 07:02:27 PM
^^^ Sounds like you made quite a project out of replacing freeze plugs!
Maybe the rubber plug wasn't such a bad decision after all? ;)
If the freeze plug would have stayed in and not blown out, it wouldn't have been a bad decision. It was put in correctly and tightened down and still came loose and eventually blew out. Just my personal experience but I will never use one again !!

retorq
04-02-2008, 07:15:16 PM
The cross member under the engine doesn't unbolt ... just FYI. :D

Davis78Camaro
04-03-2008, 01:25:31 PM
yeah, i meant the transmission.

can anyone help me on that power steering?

theflash
04-03-2008, 03:45:49 PM
Now on to power steering. I had ac in my car, now i have decided not to use it, for now. I cant find any diagrams online that show how to hook it up, and we're baffled by how it goes on. Do I need a different bracket now that i'm not using ac? or maybe im missing a bracket. If theres a diagram to show me and to tell me what parts I need that would be great.

I could be wrong, but I didn't think the AC was near the PS? Is it a sbc? I'm also guessing that even with AC the belt for the PS did not run around the AC compressor pulley. Should just be a bracket just for the PS.

BonzoHansen
04-03-2008, 03:55:17 PM
I've seen many of the rubber ones come out. I saw a tech get badly burned when one came out of a block while he was under the car. They are temporary fixes IMO.

KansasTwister
04-03-2008, 04:20:15 PM
should use the bottom bracket off the AC, some nonair cars had their own brackets, but you can use the ac bracket and it works, just wont look like a stock nonac car.

Davis78Camaro
04-04-2008, 02:08:02 PM
yeah, its a small block... and the alternator is onthe passenger side while the power steering and ac were on the drivers side