View Full Version : How many miles out of a Duramax diesel?

Nate81camaro
12-20-2007, 08:13:16 PM
My buddy's thinking of getting rid of his 4th gen (LT1 auto Z28) and getting a 2001+ pickemup with a duramax. If maintenance is regularly taken care of, how many miles can one reasonably expect out of one? I'm guessing around 400k.

Aceshigh
12-20-2007, 08:16:36 PM
I've heard you want to get the newer Duramax over the older one. The LLY I think....

I forget what year is the better version. But I've seen Powerstroke 7.3L
go 500,000 miles properly maintained. :) Samething with Cummins ....I
think one of those 2 made it to the 1,000,000 mark, but obviously the
Dodge truck would have fallen apart Loooooooong before then.

Nate81camaro
12-20-2007, 08:22:30 PM
2001+ is newer....:confused:

Aceshigh
12-20-2007, 08:35:57 PM
2001+ is newer....:confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Duramax_engine
http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramax/durafaq.htm
The LB7 (2001-2004 models) have experienced a few problems with head gaskets or injector cup seal leaks in recent years. Symptoms can include either a slow loss of coolant or allow the cooling system to build excessive pressure. Overall, these sorts of problems are few and far between, but do appear more often in engines that are running performance enhancing products. The latest LLY, LBZ and LMM engines are much less affected.

67lemanster
12-20-2007, 08:39:23 PM
my buddy has an 02 or so that i took to carlisle. he has 180k on the clock. he did just spend over 1.5k on injectors or something rediculous like that.

muscl car
12-20-2007, 08:48:40 PM
i'm a heavy duty diesel mechanic and have even seen older mechanically injected diesel non turbo engines run up to 750k before they even need an inframe overhaul . if you're really good with maintenance like changing the oil every 7500 miles and changing the fuel filter every other oil change you should be just fine . another really good item on any diesel engine is a water/fuel separator just after the tank and before the pump .something that i like putting in the fuel itself is fuel conditioner like what's available from lucas in the 5 gal bottle . this helps the fuel from becoming stale and wet with water . diesel fuel if left at 1/2 tank in cold weather will develop an algae type substance that'll clog up the fuel system fast also at a 1/2 tank the fuel will become very wet with moisture

other things that help diesels live very long is being aware of EGT's "exhaust gas temps" and to not let those temps get close or over 1300 degrees as it'll destroy the motor

so i would say you should be fine with the duramax for at least 750k before any mechanical issues arise

pdq67
12-20-2007, 08:51:14 PM
All I'm gonna say, if you want a diesel, then get a Mitsi FUSO!!

Imho, it's as tho ALL US vehicle manufacturers have done everything they can to discredit the diesel engines longevity that they try to SELL to us MASSES from the git-go when GM brought out the Olds 260 and 350 engines way back then!!

And did anybody catch Ford's recent 750,000 to one million + diesel engine powered vehicles RECALL????

And over in EUROPE, they have at least 50 percent diesel engine powered vehicles so go the f-- figure here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pdq67

muscl car
12-20-2007, 08:52:50 PM
my buddy has an 02 or so that i took to carlisle. he has 180k on the clock. he did just spend over 1.5k on injectors or something rediculous like that.

they had a problem with the injector seals drying out causing fuel leaks on the injector rail .one thing that'll kill a diesel engines fuel pump and injectors very quickly is gas contamination .just putting in 5-10 gallons of gas in a diesel will within 5-10k kill the fuel pumps teflons seals

muscl car
12-20-2007, 08:56:19 PM
And did anybody catch Ford's recent 750,000 to one million + diesel engine powered vehicles RECALL????

pdq67

yep some of the older generation 7.3 powerstroke engines had piston pin oiling issues and other oiling issues that caused alot of blown motors .the newer 7 litre twin turbo powerstokes were recalled due to fire in the tail pipes from raw fuel igniting

notadirttrack77
12-20-2007, 09:10:33 PM
The 01-04 Duramax has a 10year / 200,000 miles special policy on injectors if they are leaking fuel into the crankcase. GM pays for this. If this is what was going on, he's due a refund,

notadirttrack77
12-20-2007, 09:18:50 PM
Oh, the #1 thing with the Duramax is CHANGE THE FUEL FILTER EVERY 15K. I'm a service manager at a GM dealer and this causes 90% of duramax problems. As for miles I've seen over 250k many times. I've seen 2 failures in the 150k range, but both had power up kits on them and got carried away

Nate81camaro
12-20-2007, 09:23:12 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll pass it on to my buddy.

What's the general consensus here on Powerstroke vs Cummins vs Duramax?

muscl car
12-20-2007, 09:31:07 PM
if you want to compare gas engine longetivity to diesel engines look at it this way

when a gas engine approaches 50k you have issues in engine reliability

when a diesel engine is at 50k it's not even broke in yet as the cylinder liners ,rings have yet to wear in . that's why you can get upwards of 700k on a diesel engine if taken care of because of how heavy duty the parts are and the lifespan of them . i did an inframe of a 91 peterbilt with a series 60 detroit a few years ago and it had 1 million miles on it and the inside of the engine looked very clean with very little wear . we did do a injector/fuel pump overhaul on this same engine at 700k ,besides a few worn out injector tips and the pump needing overhaul it also looked great

diesel engine will last a long time as long as you're not adding aftermarket power adders like reprogrammed computers ,turbo upgrades and even propane or nitrous injection

muscl car
12-20-2007, 09:37:30 PM

the cummins ISB series is based off industrial service engines like construction equipment and other heavy equipment apps . i can't find the pics but did see them on the turbo diesl registery a couple years ago . if you were to lay side by side the connecting rods of a powerstroke ,duramax and cummins the cummins will be the largest more beefier looking connection rod dwarfing all the others . also the cummins has their connecting rod designed so the little end is sitting off the crankshafts journal by 20 plus degrees from center

i would say the best motor then would be cummins as they've been around for many years and they're also very strong motors

Nate81camaro
12-20-2007, 09:55:43 PM
Chuck, I know that diesel engines are very strong and reliable. Wish I could afford to get one, but that day's a little ways away.

A month or so ago, my buddy called and told me he found a cummins with 73k miles. He wanted to know "honestly, how many is that compared to a car". I told him it'd probably be around 10-20k miles or so (as long as it's been taken care of). I told him it wasn't even broken in.

He's just trying to convince his wife (they're newlyweds) that a diesel truck with 100k miles or so will last him a long time.

muscl car
12-20-2007, 10:01:02 PM
Chuck, I know that diesel engines are very strong and reliable. Wish I could afford to get one, but that day's a little ways away.

A month or so ago, my buddy called and told me he found a cummins with 73k miles. He wanted to know "honestly, how many is that compared to a car". I told him it'd probably be around 10-20k miles or so (as long as it's been taken care of). I told him it wasn't even broken in.

He's just trying to convince his wife (they're newlyweds) that a diesel truck with 100k miles or so will last him a long time.

yep 75k is nothing to that diesel engine ,just make sure the oil changes and fuel filters have been changed on schedule and enjoy the truck

BlueCamaro
12-20-2007, 10:08:55 PM

Cummins pwns ^^ I'll tke a Cummins diesel over any of the other ones. Dodge dont joke aaround with thier motors.

The Army uses GMs diesel engines in thier HMMWVs, they arent the fastest, but if they can tow 20k weight and go about 60-70mph, they are good by me.

Powerstroke...I give the middle finger to all of Ford's products... :crazy:

67lemanster
12-20-2007, 10:16:55 PM
The 01-04 Duramax has a 10year / 200,000 miles special policy on injectors if they are leaking fuel into the crankcase. GM pays for this. If this is what was going on, he's due a refund,
nope that wasnt it. i knew about that, well kinda but it was under warranty. cash outa pocket.

_Bear_
12-20-2007, 10:18:14 PM
I have 300,000 miles on my 2002 dmax 1 ton dually. I beat the snot out of it daily in the oilpatch and I have not had an issue yet. I also pull my 41 ft 5th wheel toy hauler in my off time, it weighs in at a little over 22000 lbs. I have had a 90 hp Juice box and an AFE cold air kit with 4" exaust since it was new.
Cheers
Bear

camcojb
12-20-2007, 10:19:17 PM
with the new trucks the Duramax makes more power than any of the others. Dodge still has trans issues, especially if you add any power. And Ford seems to always have head gaskets or something failing if you push them.

If left bone-stock the Duramax is still the strongest. Combined with the Allison trans it's a pretty cool piece. I love mine.

Jody

towood
12-20-2007, 10:23:46 PM
Although I mainly work on gas engines I have worked on some diesels. I have put injectors in a duramax. I have seen many duramaxes with 200k+ miles them. I have worked on powerstrokes also, the last version of the 7.3 I think is the best. The 6.0 sucks. The cummins seem pretty good too, but I have seen alot where the injection pump has to be replaced on them. Overall I think most would probably go 300k+ without many major problems.

dcs13
12-20-2007, 10:25:43 PM
I LOVE my duramax...'06 3/4 Crew cab. Only have 30k on it, but it's freakin awesome. It tows anything I throw at it with ease... Glad to hear I can drive it 300K...

Aceshigh
12-20-2007, 10:28:20 PM
It's too bad the Dmax/Allison combo hasn't been put in an Avalanche yet.
That's what I'd like to own as probably my last truck I'd ever buy.

muscl car
12-20-2007, 10:28:56 PM
I LOVE my duramax...'06 3/4 Crew cab. Only have 30k on it, but it's freakin awesome. It tows anything I throw at it with ease... Glad to hear I can drive it 300K...

300k isn't nothing keep it until it reaches 750-800k then you'll be amazed on how realiable a diesel engine is

muscl car
12-20-2007, 10:33:44 PM
with the new trucks the Duramax makes more power than any of the others. Dodge still has trans issues, especially if you add any power. And Ford seems to always have head gaskets or something failing if you push them.

If left bone-stock the Duramax is still the strongest. Combined with the Allison trans it's a pretty cool piece. I love mine.

Jody

dodge uses the allison also in some apps and it's the allison trans having issues . i'm certified by detroit diesel allison to work on their transmissions and half the time it's a computer problem not mechanical . alot of hvy duty truck i've seen get towed into the shop with the owners and operators fearing major expenses . it takes less than 5 minutes to reboot the transmission computer to get it working again .

Nate81camaro
12-20-2007, 10:38:47 PM
Cummins pwns ^^ I'll tke a Cummins diesel over any of the other ones. Dodge dont joke aaround with thier motors.

The Army uses GMs diesel engines in thier HMMWVs, they arent the fastest, but if they can tow 20k weight and go about 60-70mph, they are good by me.

Powerstroke...I give the middle finger to all of Ford's products... :crazy:

There's an uparmored HMMWV sitting about 30 feet from me. POS!!!!!

towood
12-20-2007, 10:45:17 PM
I should also mention on the duramax there is 4 versions the LB7,LLY,LBZ,LMM. I think the LB7 is the one with injector problems. You can tell the LB7 apart from the rest because the injectors are in the valve cover, the others they made the injectors external. I heard that the new duramax is going to have no exhaust manifolds, the exhaust will go through the valley to the turbo. I work on some fleet trucks and yeah you see some with alot of miles (500K) but the rest of the truck is just plain wore out.

fabio
12-20-2007, 11:04:12 PM
I love diesels, no smog checks, sparkplugs and wires, along with distributor. My favorite car is the old mercedes diesels. Mine is still going strong after 500k and burns my used oil I put in the tank. My brother in law has a duramax with 150k. Before that he was a ford man. But after being broken down a few times on two different powerstrokes while towing his sandbox trailer he had enough.
The duramax had the injectors replaced under warranty but has been a good truck other than that. Does gm replace these injectors with the same stuff or an upgraded injector? If I was doing some heavy towing I wouldn't mind a cummins with a stick shift. That would be a tough powertrain. The only problem is the cummins don't have a good body or interior imo.